Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Udon Shop - The Second

The second udon shop was about an hour drive away. During this time, our energy was still high, and our tolerance levels for udon was still high as well, so it passed pretty quickly. We were well out of the city that I thought we were lost, but no worries, everything was under control.

Here is the shop from the street.


I took a side slanted shot to show the background better and prove that this shop was truly in the middle of nowhere, yet people were flocking to it. We came just before a crowd of 15 assembled!


This is a shot of the inside. There's two sections: Normal dining area, and Japanese-style tatami area. Since it was so crowded we split up: The women ate together at a table in the tatami room, and the guys at at the bottom right table in this picture.


Here's the menu. Here you could order three different sizes, as well as you could order hot/hot, hot/cold, cold/hot, or cold/cold, the first temperature being that of the noodle, the second that of the soup! Since it was a pretty chilly day, most of us had hot/hot, though I tried the cold/hot that Maddo ordered, which was, interesting but not that strikingly different. The menu on the left is the same thing as on the right, but with the little blue/red symbols it's a little more user/visual friendly.


Here is the table before the udon came. We all have tempura (I have chikuwa tempura, which is fish past in a log-like shape fried tempura-style - note my blue, old cell phone next to the plate. the camera broke so I may look to upgrade, but not sure I really want to spend 50 dollars just to get a brand new phone with a camera that works that I rarely use. The phone has started to cut-off and restart without warning though, so soon it may be necessary). Also on the table: Ginger on the right, and pepper in the red cylinder.


To your right as you walk in is where all the tempura is. So you just grab what you want and put it down on the order form which you fill out and hand to them behind the counter on your own.


The remnants of my udon. I forgot to take a picture before I started eating, and didn't have the heart to ask a random Japanese person if I could take a picture of their food when it came before they started eating. That sounds very strange.



This place was decent. The total bill came out to 330 (small udon and the tempura was 100yen).

1 comment:

Katy said...

This is the best blog you have ever written. I enjoyed the adventure and the food pics and prep. One more year there and you will be up to Ben's caliber.

Rock On