Tuesday, October 11, 2005

The last weekend of September

This was a three day weekend, and I decided no better way to spend it than to log some time up North in Niimi on my bike. I had put up a couple of pictures on the site before (under), so you can check it out, but here's the full story. I contacted Yarek (Phil's successor), to stay with him and organizing some fun things to do. The ride up was fairly eventful actually, seeing as I didn't leave Tamano until about 4pm, but was hoping to leave closer to before 3pm. That being said, this meant that I didn't have enough day light to reach Niimi, so I stopped in Takahashi to get on the train (580yen) for the rest of the way. Asking the employee if it was okay to take my bike on, and that I had a cover and everything, he said sure, but when the train rolled up, the conductor would not let me on the train despite my being prepared.

I even tried to get on the train myself, but he called over two people to hold me back from getting on. Wow. Despite all my ranting after realizing that I would not get on, including a couple of vehiment "aho's", or a##holes, I didn't get on. Only in Japan can you swear at somebody and they will apologize.

So I ended up biking the rest in the dark, and boy was it dark. I was not pleased about it. Turns out that Rachel Allen, another JET in Takahashi actually passed me in her car. She had hit a rabbit earlier in that same trip, and was traumatized by the possibility of hitting another JET on their bike, but I did have a rear light and reflectors.....

That weekend we went to the caves, Niimi's hotspots (there are only two it seems), and then the kicker: Biked up 30km north for the onsen. The best part about the onsen was going to the "relax room" and taking a 2 and a half hour nap in the middle of the day in a peaceful, quiet, cool room. Heaven.

Here's the Jenglish sign of the day from that ride:


And I couldn't really figure out what all these signs were from or about, but it looked neat. Kind of like putting license plates from around the world or something on your wall...

No comments: