Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Fukuoka International Dance Festival

While we were in Fukuoka it so happened that there was an international dance festival going on as well! This meant that there were LOTS of people walking around with costumes and makeup, and impromptu rehearsals and practice in the parks near the venues... We started watching this group of people all dressed as tigers, all the way from adults (moms) to 5 year olds... I talked afterwards with the leader for a bit, and decided that I wanted to see them perform. And although Yarek and the others didn't stick around to watch the group of "tigers" (Sakura Dance Club) perform, Yarek did give me his uber sweet 12 megapixel super zoom camera to take some pictures. Although I didn't snap a whole lot of pictures, I did get some half decent shots...

Here's the preparation area, with a group in red getting really excited and about to go on stage:


Next up we have the Sakura Dance Club. Their leader I think was the gal up front, who spoke ridiculously good English, although I can't remember for sure since with all the same makeup and clothes, I won't lie to you, it was tough to spot her out amongst the crowd of other "tigers".


Then we have the end pose of a small group. I am especially proud of this shot since I took it as the guy was waving the flag but caught it in a perfect position to read and visually:


And last but not least, another fairly small group from I believe China, everyone in rhythm and synch.

No comments: