Sunday, November 27, 2005

Bizen Soccer Experience

So last week, just as I had done last year, I biked to Bizen again to help out with their "Intercultural Soccer Day". The four volunteers were Sarah, Claire, Andy, and myself.

I as usual biked in from the city, thus putting me over 640km (now over 700km) for the month (remember my goal is 640km each month, or 400 miles, coming out to roughly a hundred miles a week).

Soccer was fun, I proceeded to put the pink jersey on my head, tucking it into my hat, since it was ideally far more fashionable than actually putting it on correctly.




Afterwards, we all had a marvelous (and plentiful) yakisoba lunch. The first round was quickly gobbled up by most of the kids, but I was able to make a killing on the 2nd and 3rd, taking home a total of 5 bowls of yummy food to the stomache. The fear of being sick on the ride home prevented me from eating more. In retrospect, since I didn't end up riding home until well later, attending instead the full length of the temple visit, I should've gone in for more.

The temple was nearby, about 5km away, up the side of a very steep hill. We ended up first witnessing a chant (I could not remember the phony chant I was taught as a joke, how disappointing!). I took a serious video, but unfortunately have still not figured out how to post videos on this, so maybe another time. Afterwards I did take a lot of pictures of the very pretty room. After that was a tea ceremony, then a poem recitation and dance by one of the ladies who served us tea.







No comments: