Thursday, March 23, 2006

Weekend Tally

The tally for the weekend was also intriguing: 3 flat tires and a broken spoke. I broke the spoke too on Saturday morning heading to Sakanoichi for the meeting point.

While I was retuning the backwheel to compensate (first tightening all the spokes, there were quite a few loose ones it turned out, probably where I went wrong and the reason for breaking a spoke in the first place), I dropped the spoke tuner. Looking down, there was a grate right next to my bike, and I chuckled thinking to myself, had I dropped it and had it fell in the grate, I would've been in trouble.

A minute later, I dropped it again (clammy, cold hands), and it almost did fall into the gutter. That was the end of playing with the devil, I picked up the bike and moved it ten feet forward before finishing the tuning job.

Ended up riding over 400km with a broken spoke on the back (and still going, will fix it tomorrow afternoon in the city). Impressive, I think I'm getting pretty good at self-tuning my tires.

No comments: