Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Denied Drive-Through

So the other day in Okayama I attempted to go through the drive in at McDonald's on my bike (yes, my once in a couple of months itch), but to my surprise I was rejected. I was told bikes couldn't be served.

I was quite annoyed and attempted to reason with the voice from the speaker that I was a 駐輪 or wheeled-vehicle that I should be let through. This didn't work. I then explained that I use the roads and go as fast as scooters, therefore shouldn't be denied. Didn't work. Then I say there's no way I'm going into the store so it's either this or no go. Well, no go.

I debated coming back a minute later and being sure to put my hand over the little camera next to the speaker (used to identify the person/vehicle for sure), but figured that that was too much effort for it to be worthwhile. I left.

This weekend I also passed 12,000km, or roughly 7,500miles on my bike. Only another 4,000 to go before I hit my goal for the year, so right on par.

This weekend is Hadaka Matsuri, or Okayama's famous naked man festival. I will be attempting this year to go in with a disposable camera strapped to my arm (first taped to the underside of my fundooshi since I think the cops will confiscate it, but after going through their legions and entering the platform I will transfer it to my arm/hand) and get some super close and exciting shots.

1 comment:

Katy said...

Hi Neil.
Glad to read all is well with you and your mop. I see you have quite a few chicks following your blog. Ben understands the value of a liberal arts education (I believe he is pointing that out with the answers to your tech questions).
How are Ben's families getting along? Hello to all of them from us. Congratulations on your mileage. I am in awe.