Monday, March 27, 2006

Golden Week Plans

I fixed the spoke and have begun working on my plans for Golden Week. Here they are both in English and Japanese (although the Japanese has not been corrected yet by a native speaker, so there most likely errors aplenty). If you could think about donating to my ride, I would greatly appreciate it.

----------

I intend to during golden week, bike Shikoku's 88 Temple route. I am doing it for charity as well (Lymphoma Society, specifically since I have had hodgkin's and time to give something back I think).

Golden week is 10 days. The plan is to set off Friday afternoon and continue on for 10 days and get as far as possible and to as many temples as possible, then go home (it may actually be 9 days, the 10th used to return home to Takamatsu). The total distance of the route is approx. 1400km (have seen 1100km as well as 1640km, so unsure really). If I do not finish during golden week, which is highly probable, I intend to finish using my weekends if possible...

Right now it is myself and possibly my neighbor, Ashley, but others are more than welcome to join at any stage of the ride.

Here's the challenging part: There will be no (at least probably, unless I can convince somebody) assistance van or supply car. Everything you bring, you carry. Thus, things to bring at the minimum (which is the way I always operate on long rides) is a tent, a thermarest (no need for a sleeping bag, it'll be hot in Shikoku), everything you need to fix your bike, and one spare change of clothes. That's it. But that's already another 10-12 pounds (or about 5kg). I would suggest all of this being on a rack too since day after day with a backpack and riding will hurt your back possibly.

The other goal is to put on about 140km a day of riding. Not fast riding, but consistent, averaging probably somewhere between 20-22 km/hr (there are lots of hills in Shikoku).

Last but not least, biking and camping means operating by daylight, thus wakeup will be at about 4am, on road by no later than 5am. On the flip side, you're in bed by no later than 8pm, thus you are still getting 8 hours of sleep a night (more than most of you get on a regular basis probably).

The daytime will be filled with riding, visiting temples, eating, and a morning or two for an onsen if possible because riding ten days without a shower is seriously rough.

This ride is a "back to the basics". You will smell after a day, you won't shower every night (although I towel off every night since that tends to help), but it's a great way to get back in touch with nature and the simple things in life.

Things you would need to participate:
Road bike (might be tough to keep up in a mountain bike)
Rack with all the aforementioned stuff
Money (so you don't starve and can eat at conbini's and stuff)
Adventurous mindset.

If you're interested, let me know and we'll talk more.

Otherwise, great riding, and hope to see some of you on two wheels on a road in the woods, pallaver

-----------------

八十八ヶ所巡りの内容

今年の五月のゴルデンウイークに八十八ヶ所巡りを自転車で走るつもりです。十日間中自転車のラックに全部を持ってキャンプの物も運ぶので毎晩そんな風に泊まりますし日の間に自転車に乗って寺を訪れます。更にあの旅は施しの旅になりたいです。おさらく、私は二千三年にホジュキンスと言う癌があった事を知らなくてやられたのせいで今年のゴルデンウイークの旅はホジュキンス癌の基金に寄付したいエベントになりたいんです。私が私にやられた癌の慈善基金に寄付するようになりましたと思いますから皆達が寄付の事で感謝しています。出来るだけ参加して下さい。

二つの寄付する方法があります。一つは合計総額の寄付をする。他の方法はそれぞれの訪れた寺の寄付の慈善の方法です。二番目の方法は私を全部の寺を訪れるようになる激励です。

旅をする時にお偏素の服を着たり全部の寺に寺の納経集まったりすると思います。後で私のウエブサイトに(www.npallaver.photosite.com)写真を入れるつもりし納経の写真も取って置くつもりです。

それも、二つの寄付方法があります。あげた封筒に入れて渡してあげられる。でも、振込みも出来る。郵便局の口座に与えられる。どちらでもいいです。

よろしくお願い致します。

3 comments:

Katy said...

I always feel like I'm taking an eye test when I have to type those letters onto your blog to be able to post.

Hi Neil. Maybe when you get back from golden week you could post a map of Japan with all of the routes you have biked. I'm sure everyone would be interested. You look good.

okyan said...

Hello!
Thank you for message in my blog.
You mean that I rewrite Jpanese with more natural if your Japanese not suitable?
I understand your Japanese,but there are
some sentences I'm no sure.
So,Could you tell me English what you want translate into Japanese?
Do you recover hodgkin's?

Any way,I hope you will make it GOLDEN WEEK PLAN!!

Anonymous said...

Hey Neil!

Good luck on the trek!! It pleases me that I can still pretty much understand 90% of the japanese part - who says you have to use it or lose it!?!

Take care buddy,
Jez